Re: Jeff Cooper's Hit and Run Trading II

I bought the book (and have purchased Hit & Run I, 5-Day Momentum Method,
Street Smarts, and Connors on Advanced Trading Strategies...so I guess I
should own stock in M. Gordon Publishing).  It is rather difficult to
answer John's straightforward question, because different traders buy
trading books for different reasons.

Personally, I liked Hit & Run II and am testing - to the extent possible -
and paper trading the set ups to see what kind of results I get (I also
bought the accompanying software for all 5 books).  As Cooper and Connors
and Raschke preach over and over, a trader only needs ONE PROFITABLE SET UP
to make a living.  I bought the book, therefore, for the new set ups that
Cooper publishes in it.  I didn't spend $100 on it to be entertained, to
purchase a "good read," or solely to make my trading library bigger.  I
bought it to glean more trading knowledge (and yes, to try to find more set
ups that consistently make money) so I can be a more successful trader.  If
I only get that one profitable set up from it, then it was more than worth
the $100.

Now, that being said, I am sure there are doom-and-gloomers and naysayers
out there who will - predictably - wag their finger at Cooper and accuse
him of just hawking over-priced books that are worthless to traders.  These
people seem predisposed to their plight, have already "seen the light" and
already "know for sure" that trading is a losing game, they "know" ALL book
authors and system vendors and newsletter writers are crooks, and they fail
- predictably - because they don't think it's possible to win at trading.
These people will purchase the book and immediately complain about it being
too much like the first book, over priced, worthless, etc, etc.  For them,
yes, it was a waste of $100.

For me, to summarize, I like the book and am looking forward to adding
those set ups that work for me to my arsenal.  And Section IV of the book
("Techniques of a Professional Trader") provides Cooper's advice for
successful trading, which provides a useful context or backdrop for the set
ups.

BTW, I have noticed RTers slamming Cooper's first book because of the
difficulty in thoroughly and rigorously backtesting everything.  This may
or may not be a valid criticism and reason NOT to buy the book.  If you
fall into this camp, then save yourself the money and don't buy the second
book!  It has more of the same - just not published in the first book - and
your logic would apply to them, too.

Frank Howard