Re: Psychology of Trading

As a marketing and advertising consultant, I've been involved with
assisting various mutual funds, banks and brokerage houses with their
communication strategies. A lot of the studies and focus groups we did
concluded that, in the aggregate (remember "aggregate" means there are many
individual exceptions), people are extremely insecure about financial
matters and how they invest money. They don't want to look dumb.

So when Mr. Wanna-be-Bigshot is talking with Mr. Really-is-Bigshot at the
country club and finds out his stock portfolio did 5% worse, the real
emotion that comes up is being embarassed. It's not the 5%, it's how stupid
he feels. I say "he" because the studies seem to point to men suffering
from this phenomenon more than women...and probably has a lot to do with
why men also do not want to seem stupid by asking for directions (again, in
the aggreage, you may well be an exception)

I think this translates to trading. We palm off responsibility for poor
trades to some other entity, be it guru or system, in order to not look
like idiots in front of our fellow traders.