Re: Interesting thought for all newbies and some so called Pros

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Interesting thought for all newbies and some so called Pros
  • From: "A.J. Carisse" <carisse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 19:55:32 -0700

IdontgetNo@xxxxxxx wrote:

> If for every buyer there is a seller and for every winner there has to be a
> looser.

Not true.  The strongest thing we can say here is that for every profit, there is
someone else that could have profited himself (the previous owner), but that is
far from the same thing, as the other person could have easily profited as well,
and the person before him, and so on.

> For all you new comers that are spending endless days and nights in
> front of your computers trying to figure out systems, indicators, oscillators,
> and different time frames to make your ideas and systems work. Don't you think
> that someone with a lot more money than you already figured it out and if what
> your working on does work, they will make sure it doesn't just long enough to
> get you discouraged.

This isn't true either.  First, there simply isn't this level of competition among
traders - there is way too much divergence of holding patterns and strategies.
Even if this wasn't the case, there isn't any reason why the pro and the newbie
cannot both profit, even though to different degrees perhaps.  As far as
formulating trading strategies, finding one that makes money on balance really
isn't very difficult at all, and much of the time spent here is more a matter of
seeking profit maximization.   Moreover, it would take a higher power to "make
sure it doesn't (work) just long enough to get you discouraged - I don't
understand this comment.

> If it didn't work from the start, then you've already
> lost your money by spending all this time that you will never be able to
> replace.

Succeeding at trading isn't easy to be sure - and one's real enemy in this game
comes from within.  With an attitude like this, success will be  nearly impossible
- it takes a great deal of confident resolve to overcome one's fear of failure -
once one accepts defeat, it's over in any case.

Regards,
A.J.