MKT: sentiment

                LOWRISK.COM

         INVESTOR SENTIMENT SURVEY

                 5 / 10 / 98

Below are the results of our weekly "Guess the Dow" sentiment survey. The
survey was taken from 5/4 through 5/10 on our web site.

Number of participants: 349

30 day outlook:

41% bullish,  49% last week
35% bearish,  29% last week
25% neutral,  23% last week

(percentages may not sum to 100 due to rounding)

Median guess for the DJIA closing value on Friday, 5/15: 9123 (it was 9175
last week). More complete sentiment data is available at
<http://www.lowrisk.com/sentiment.htm> .

Last week we warned the bulls not to be complacent. These weeks numbers are
not quite as cut and dried. With the weak price action last week, one would
expect the bulls to retreat somewhat, and they did. But the drop in bullish
sentiment from 49% to 41% was not very dramatic. And the bears gain from
29% to 35% was likewise rather modest. So this is one of those weeks when
we have a hard time reading much into the sentiment numbers.

To try this week's contest, stop by: http://www.lowrisk.com/guess.htm
More sentiment data is at: http://www.lowrisk.com/sentiment.htm

best regards,
Jeff Walker