Re: Stocks vs. Commodities

John -- so, the net/unrealized gain on open futures positions at 12/31 is
taxed?

With best regards,

Colin Johnston

At 11:02 AM 12/31/97 -0800, John Sweeney  S&C wrote:
>No one has mentioned what, I think, is the only disadvantage to trading
futures: the tax impact. Futures traders must settle with the government
every year while stock investors can keep their gains away from any "tax
events" in perpetuity if they are cagey about it.

>Food for thought,
>John
>John Sweeney, Tech. Editor  Technical Analysis of Stocks & Commodities
>Technical Analysis, Inc.    The Traders' Magazine
>4757 California Ave. S.W.   Phone: 206 938-0570  Fax: 206 938-1307
>Seattle, WA 98116-4499 USA  Web: http://www.traders.com/
>Contents may not reflect official opinion of Technical Analysis, Inc.

Colin C. Johnston
<colinjhn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Carpe Diem ...