Gen: Advance Decline Regression Analysis

A regression analysis of the cumulative advance decline data (nyse) and
the close of the S&P 500 produces a R^2 of .975 (almost perfect
correlation). This should not be a surprise. I had expected the reading
to be high. What I wanted to do was to generate S&P data based on where
the Advance Decline data was expecting the S&P to be. The idea being that
the Advance Decline data could produce more reliable timing signals. Once
I did this I wanted to apply an analysis to this expected S&P data to
determine if I could come up with a more reliable timing system. I have
posted the results below. The numbers represent the changes for the
expected S&P on a close to close basis.  The next step is to do a pattern
recognition search for relationships between patterns in the advance
decline data and the direction of the move in the SPX or OEX.

Good Luck
Ron McEwan

11/3/97	1.32% buy
11/4/97	0.11%