Re: W. D. Gann

: I have one other question.  You seem very well versed in W. D. Gann, and
: one question does bother me a bit.  Upon his death, W. D. Gann did not
: leave a large estate.  Given the fact that he may have made up to
: $50,000,000 in the markets, as is widely touted, I wonder why he did not
: leave a larger estate.

Gann may have made US$50 m but remember he was managing money for others
also.
So most of the US$50 million was not his. He also gave away alot of money
to his daughters which probably upset John L Gann. He also had a passion
for the ladies (a great little black book full of New York Ladies names).
His estate was worth around US$175,000 in 1955.  Which is still alot of
money.  In 1956 my grandfather bought a house in Vaucluse for A$25,000 that
is now worth over A$1.5 million.

So I guess Gann was not poor by any stretch. But to think someone would
keep all the money they made from trading over a lifetime would be a bit
silly.  He owned private plane decked out in his colours.
:
: Does anyone in RT's have any information regarding how successful W. D.
: Gann was at actually trading in his own account?  Sorry to ask, but would
: you include the source of your information.

When Gann was in his mid  70's he was only trading 1 lots. I meet an old
guy who traded with Gann he confirmed this.  He also said Gann was a good
trader.  The old guy used a lot of Ingress charts.  he also said Gann
really knew how to milk a trend.  Look at the Mechanical trend indicator
and Overnight Charts for how he did this. Bill Mclaren also confirmed the
$175,000 odd to me as well.

: PS:  I do not believe Elder got reliable information from W. D. Gann's
son,
: IMHO.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE.  JOHN L had an axe to grind and Dr Elder also had
one too!

Regards
David Hunt
http://homepages.tig.com.au/~adest