Re: Fibonacci History

Let me throw a fly in the ointment of Fibonacci here. I would say that
most folks would not argue with me if we said that a fib retracement of
0.618 is approximately 2/3 and .382 is approximately 1/3. Likewise
0.61803999 is approximately 0.618. So do I place my trade or support
line at the fib number or at the other fractions. Since they are very
close.

The point that I am trying to make is that in mathematics everything is
defined to have a very specific meaning. For example 0, 1, 1, 3, 5, 8,
... is defined to be the fibonacci sequence. 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, ... is NOT
the fibonacci sequence, by definition. The "NOT" that I am using is the
'logical' not that turns a true statement into a false statement and
vice versa.
(I hope you can see where this is going by now.)

So if the retracement was actually 0.61803999999999999...  which isn't a
fibonacci number then the retracement isn't fibonacci. Some ratios that
are observed in nature that are fibonacci are exact, not approximations.

Hopefully this takes us back to trading using Fibonacci techniques is
more of a social construct than being one with nature. Let alone by
definition it isn't even Fibonacci, since an approximation of a
Fibonacci number is Not a fibonacci number.

Just something to think about.

Harley