Re: GEN - Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous Real Traders

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: GEN - Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous Real Traders
  • From: "ramon barros" <ramon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 09:01:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi

----------
> From: TRaffertu@xxxxxxx
> To: ramon@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: GEN - Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous Real Traders
> Date: Thursday, November 06, 1997 9:19 AM
>
>         Hi Ramon,
>
>          Thanks for your response.  I would like very much to hear how
you
> made the change to full time trading.  Good and bad experiences, changes
in
> your life, etc.

My change to full-time trading was abrupt and with hindsight a mistake.

I sold my legal practice and decided that trading was the thing to do.
Spent 6 months studying the mkts and then hopped into it.  Made all the
mistakes everyone does and created a few of my own.  I would not want
to tell you the money I lost. If I had it to all over again I would do
things differently.

I believe there are 4 stages to trading professionally:

1	stop losing
2	start winning consistently: 5 to 10% return pa on capital.
3	learn there is a trade off between returns and risk of ruin
	- this determines the level of return: 10% - 30% is normal
	for this stage.

4	flair, if any, for trading determines the next level of return:
	greater than 30% consistently achieved is possible.

>          On the technical side I am interested in how much capital
>reserve
> is required (for living, not trading), outside office vs. home office,
> incorporating, tax ramifications (USA), books and tools you have found
> usefull, etc.

Cannot comment on USA tax laws.

So far as reserves are concerned, it would depend on what stage you have
reached. I would not give up my day job until stage 3.  At that stage,
I would want 12 months of living expenses set aside and/or a part-time job
to ease financial pressures.

So far as a home office is concerned - it did not work for me. What worked
was sharing a low rent office with a couple of budding professionals until
I could afford buying an office of my own.

The problem I had with a home office was I had no place where I could
shut the door and "leave the office".

Books and Tools:

So far as tools are concerned, I have written an article on:

http://www.realtraders.com

Go to "trading secrets" and my shelf. It's entitled "Wyckoff,
Steidlmayer.." or words to that effect.

Books are difficult as I am voracious reader. Some of the more
current ones I have found useful are:

*	Market Wizards I and II
*	The Disciplined Trader
*	The Way of the Samurai Trader
*	The chapter on Money Management in
	"Winner Takes All"

Also:

"any book on Wyckoff's ideas"
"any book on Steidlmayer's ideas"
"most books written by and about the old masters" -
 especially Bernard Barauch

>           In general I am looking for advice that would make the
>transition
> smoother from those who have gone before.  Thanks again for your intrest.

The best advice I can give you is:

1	 be patient and know you can trade profitably before you make
	the change;

2	ensure your financial capital is adequate - I would budget for a
	20% return, of which no more than 50% is available for living expenses.

	Have at least 12 months living expenses set aside when you begin and
	as little as possible in fixed commitments. If possible have a part-time
	occupation that does not take up too much time and provides
	some measure of assistance to your cash flow.

3	have a life outside trading or in "new age" jargon, have a balanced
	life.

4	if you are in a relationship ensure your partner is 200% supportive or
	work out a solution so she is supportive. Trading is  stressful enough
	without additional pressures.

5	Develop some tools for stress release:  meditation, aerobic exercise etc

6	Never stop learning - once we learn to discipline ourselves, you need
	tools that have an edge over the other players;  you can be sure that the
	best ones out there are continuing to adapt and research.

7	Finally have realistic expectations. The great thing about trading is the
	compound effect on your net wealth. If you can compound 15-20% pa
	you'll be wealthy in time.

	I believe that the most common reasons for failure after poor
	capitalization are unrealistic expectations and taking too greater risk
	relative to capital base,  knowledge and experience.

I have posted this on RT at your request.

regards

ray

R Barros
101/25 Market Street