GENL : Haurlan Index

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: GENL : Haurlan Index
  • From: rmac@xxxxxxxx (Ronald McEwan)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:03:29 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:26:00 -0500 (EST) TWA7663@xxxxxxx writes:
Can you give me the formula for computing the Haurlan Index with data
from Telescan?
The Haurlan Index was developed by Dave Holt, he used to publish "Trade
Levels". I do not know if this publication is still available. The
formula is simply a weighted moving average of advances over declines. I
like to use advance minus declines. Dave used two signal line 100 & -150.
Above 100 is a buy below -150 is a sell. You can experiment with your own
signal levels. I also recommend that you use multiple moving averages to
get a better idea of short term and intermediate term moves.(5,10,15,20
ma's) The data from telescan for ISSU comes in a open,high,low,close
format. The advances are the "high" number and the declines are the "low"
number. You have to adjust your formulas to reflect this.

Good Luck
Ron McEwan