Re: FUTR GEN: Murray and Muray Math

Finding The Butterflys

No claim to genius status from this corner.  Just want to add some
confirmation of the simple logic rule of not making things too complex.  A
few years back when in residence at one of the country's prestigeous
universities, my now X wife was researching the migration path of the
Monarch butterflies.  Her research was based on capturing them at their
overwintering sites on the California coast and then analyzing their body
parts using thinlayer chromatography.  She was looking for cardiac
glycocides that are sequestered when the butterfly larva feed on milkweed
plants.  These identifying markers stay with the larva through the
transformaiton into what we see flying amongst the flowers in an apparant
random path.  In reality these flapping things have a migratory path they
have been following prior to man getting into their path.  The butterflies
that pass through Florida and Texas, having flown from Canada, disappear
over the gulf of Mexico.  Botanically milkweed plants are geographic
specific and by combining information from the botany department with the
sacrificing of thousands of butterflies a migratory path is mapped.  For
decades a professor in Canada was using a tagging approach and traced the
path between Canada and the southern border of the US.  My wife in
conjunction with a professor from Amherst preferred the chemical dissection
route.  From my perspective as a nuclear physics researcher there seemed to
be a more logical approach to finding out where the butterflies spent the
winter than years of tagging and chemical research.  These folks even went
so far as to use satellite photos to select the ideal overwintering sites.
My simple suggestion to them was to take a VW bus to Mexico and ask the
locals where the butterflies hangout during the winter.  The story ends
when my wife's party arrives in a VW bus at the camp of the Canadians in
the mountains above Mexico city a week after the Canadians had arrived.

BobR