TAX: trader status

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with claiming trader status
(i.e., calling the trading a business).

Besides being employed fulltime in a scientific field, I am a small
futures trader, end-of-day but fairly short holding times (1-4 weeks on
average?).  I spend a lot of time on it, and have done some system work
on Trade Station.  I've spent far too much on books, subscriptions,
etc.  I lost a good bit of money in 1996, although I've probably
recouped 2/3 of that this year.  After reading Ted Tessler's book I
think I might be able to consider it a business.  The advantages, as I
understand them:

I could deduct all expenses, even commissions this year, even though I
don't have capital gains, without any limits, against my other income.

I would, however, be limited to the amount of the capital losses I could
deduct to the usual amount.

I probably could deduct NOW, my computer (which I use exclusively for
trading), and something for the room in which I work on trading.

Am I correct in my belief that commissions are deductible only for a
trading business ("trader") and not for an investor?  Does anyone know
if the amount listed on the 1099 for futures P/L includes commissions?

I would not be deducting anything* I wouldn't eventually be able to
deduct against capital gains later (assuming I had some).  But, because
of very tight finances now, it would be a great advantage to me to
deduct them this year instead of having to wait.  So I'm inclined to try
the trader status.  (*except commissions?)

Any input?  (I need to do this by Aug. 15.)  Shortly before Apr 15, when
I went to the local IRS office, they looked at me like I was a Martian
when I asked about futures trading, so I don't think I can get help
locally!		Thanks!!

							Conrad Bowers
							cpbow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx