Re: Neural Nets

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Neural Nets
  • From: David Michael Newman <newmanda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 16:02:06 -0700 (PDT)

I've had modest success with the following approach:

1) Learn something about how they work, not PhD level but enough to fine
tune them somewhat.

2) The expression "Garbage In, Garbage Out" goes double for neural nets
i.e. input selection is probably the most important factor, so chose
inputs carefully. An excellent starting point would be to use the
technical indicators you would use anyway (moving avs., oscillators, etc.)

3) One of the best uses for nets is money management. Instead of a just
buy or sell signal it provides an estimate of profitability; very high
estimates would suggest a larger position, smaller ones you might what to
pass up all together.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.