Re: FUT: CycleTrader for S&P Day Trading

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: FUT: CycleTrader for S&P Day Trading
  • From: Michael Guess <mjg@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:51:24 -0700 (PDT)

Larry,

I've been following your daytrading experiences w/ CT w/ fascination;
especially your response to those who complain CT is "too hard." As a CT SP
daytrader I accept the different trading styles we all have. I also accept
the discipline required. Frankly, I have little patience for those lacking
trading discipline and who still want some "easy" way to turn the crank to
extract $$ from the SP. There's a reason the veteran traders say dues must
be paid. Daytrading the SP (IMHO) is THE hardest game in town. It takes a
special type of person to succeed at it. Those who've "survived" know that
it takes much more than a mechanical trading system or some software
package to give you the "edge". The MOST important factor is inside the
trader. If s/he survives, even makes a little $$ while paying their tuition
in the mkt, then usually you can say it's because they've learned a little
something of the NATURE of the market.

This is why I prefer an approach that requires some discretion. Don't get
me wrong, I'm not against mechanical systems, etc. In fact, I chair a
Mechanical Trading Systems SIG in my futures trading group. It's just that
I came to realize it's not so much WHAT you trade with as HOW you trade.
I've used CT now for nearly 2 yrs in the SP. I haven't yet used it for
position trading altho I'm migrating in that direction (in conjunction w/
seasonal tendencies, Taucher's linear cycles, Elliott, Gann, Fib, and
astro). I took a daytrading seminar from Walt Bressert about a yr and a
half ago & got a TREMENDOUS amount of value from it on how to daytrade SP.
NOT just his cyclical view of the mkts but 25 yrs of trading experience,
period. I left in a state of overwhelm, fiddling endlessly w/ his setups, etc.

I've arrived at a point where I combine mkt structure (Elliott & Gann) w/
cycles in previewing likely mkt direction. I see you already know the value
of trading the trend from the higher time frame(s). One thing I noticed by
its absence is you never mentioned CT's Timing Bands. If it's because of
all that "recalculating" you referred to I sympathize. But to get those
high probability trades you need to use them. If you've "fallen away" (as I
did) be reassured that the 4.0 upgrade will make that job easier. Will this
& the other improved features make CT easier to use? Probably. Will all
those people sitting on the fence change their minds? Bressert certainly
hopes so, but I can't say for sure, as some people equate a learning curve
w/ something to be avoided.

I treat daytrading as a business. I've owned several. Whenever I wanted an
edge over my competition I was willing to pay or learn or both whatever it
took. So it is w/ the SP. Personally I recommend the whole package: buy CT
(4.0), learn what you can (order the videos), then take Walt's seminar. If
you're serious about this you'll make $$. Maybe not right away, because a
lot of it is about working on yourself, not just operating a systematic
approach to trading (which CT is) vs buying a system to make $$. BTW, even
tho I took Walt's seminar some time ago I'm reviewing it this month in D.C.
I expect to get twice as much out of it as the first time because I've
learned so much more about the MARKET, not just CT. Like Larry, I have no
relation to anyone @ Bressert Group nor anything to gain by expressing what
is just my opinion. I hope I didn't come across too much like I was on my
soapbox. I'm holding off on my trading methodology until I return from the
seminar since what I'm currently using may be subject to change.

Good luck,

Michael Guess