Re: GEN : Computer nightmare to avoid

Faulty memory is a bigger problem than you can imagine. I've had it happen
twice. Think about memory more like a lightbulb and you can see that if your
computer is on all the time, something is going to eventually burn out.

It's hot where I am here in California, and I don't use A/C. The machine
room here gets upwards of 90F in the summer, occasionally topping 100F.

Last year I blew a machine and thought I had killed the main board so
I replaced it. Turns out that I had killed some of the RAM *and* killed
some of the circuits on the LAN card that would cause intermittent
crashes just like you described. I went through the same kind of hair
pulling and hand wringing before deciding to go with a new board.
Fortunately the new board used different SIMMS so I was forced to buy
new memory.

Two things I recommend for ferreting out these kinds of problems:

QAPLUS - a system diagnostic program and
SPINRITE - a disk diagnostic program.

Both, run weekly and at the first sign of trouble can save you lots
of pain and suffering. QA should get any system/memory problems (it
found all of mine) and Spinrite should nab any disk problems. Be advised
that bad disk problems and memory problems can have very similar symptoms.

Phil