Re: Why?

  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:56:36 -0500
  • From: Christopher McMurry <sammie91@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Why?

Actually, I don't think you own TS2000i.  You just think you do.  :)

My rule of thumb as to whether I truly own something is this: can I legally sell it to someone else? Bob gave the analogy of a TV. If I go down to Best Buy and purchase a TV, I can then put it up on Craigslist and sell it for way less than I paid. That is perfectly legal, because I own the TV. But according to Omega Research's "Grant of License", you cannot sell or even give the software to somebody else. See below.

Chris McMurry

1. GRANT OF LICENSE.

(a) Omega Research grants to you a nonexclusive license to use one copy of the software program (the "Software") and all market and other financial data included with the Software or which you have subscribed for (the "Data") on a single computer terminal. You may also use the Software and Data on a network provided that each individual accessing the Software or Data through the network has separate Software and Data licensed to, or subscribed for by, that individual. Notwithstanding the first sentence of this paragraph 1(a), you may use the Software, and any historical Data included with it, in one additional computer, provided that solely you are the person to use it on each of such two computers, and provided further that no application of the Software is used on both of such computers at the same time. This right is granted to you to provide the flexibility to, for example, use a Software application at your home computer and then later in the day at your office computer, or vice versa, or on your home computer and then on your laptop, etc. This additional right DOES NOT apply to any use by you of Data obtained by you from Omega Research on a subscription basis (e.g., HISTORYBANK.COM Daily Update Service), in which case a separate subscription must be purchased for each computer through which you receive such Data. If you have licensed the Software and/or the Data on a monthly or other periodic basis, under a subscription, lease or similar arrangement, your right to use the Software and Data terminates at the expiration of your subscription or lease term, and may be terminated by Omega Research immediately if you fail to make any required payment or violate any of your other agreements with Omega Research set forth in this Agreement or set forth elsewhere. *This Agreement and the license granted may not be transferred, assigned, leased, rented, sublicensed or otherwise transferred by you.* In no event shall the Software or the Data be used by you for, or in connection with, any unlawful purpose.

{ ** © 1987, 1999 Omega Research, Inc. **}