Re: Protecting intellectual property

  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 02:06:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • From: "Bob Bolotin" <bobolist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Protecting intellectual property

> I need suggestions on how to distribute a trading strategy in such a
> way that restricts its use to specific customers. Multiple platforms
> are targeted, not just TradeStation.
>
> I think Mark Jurik manages this for JMA and other products, but I
> don't know what's involved.  He is able to sell his tools for a
> variety of platforms too.  I'm wondering how that's done in a way
> that prevents software maintenance from becoming a nightmare from
> having to support all those platforms.

The Jurik indicators (at least JMA, which is the one I am most familiar
with) are compiled into a Windows DLL with a very generic vanilla Windows
DLL interface. So it is easy enough for any software able to call a
Windows DLL to interface to the indicators.

Jurik has no maintenance problems because he distributes only a single DLL
and it is up to the backtesting software to interface to his DLL.

But you say that you want to distribute a trading strategy, where Jurik
only distributes indicators and the backtesting software which uses the
indicators is used to compose the indicators into systems that buy and
sell. I am not sure how you would put an entire trading strategy into
something that could be used by multiple platforms. I suppose maybe it
could be called like an indicator and the indicator returns to the
backtesting software a hint whether to buy or sell (1 = buy, 0 = go flat,
-1 = go short). Maybe something like that.

Of course, (as Joel said) any binary code (contained in a DLL or
otherwise) can be disassembled by a determined hacker, but I am sure you
already know that. There is no way to around that one to my knowledge.
Even if it was distributed encrypted it could be disassembled from memory
after the program using it loads it into memory.

Bob Bolotin
www.PowerST.com