Re[2]: Importing tickdata into 2000i

  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 13:14:34 -0500
  • From: Jimmy Snowden <jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Importing tickdata into 2000i

Shawn,

It is now 2009. In 1999 I got one of the first copies of TS2ki.  That
year was a total disaster.  I worked with the head of tech support
trying to help them fix the program.  It wasn't even a beta.  Then I
beta tested TS6.  They never finished 2000i.  6 wasn't any better.
2000i is not able to do volume bars on any basis.  They would not
listen to me or anyone else on this list that wanted volume computed
correctly.  Please take our word don't waste your time.  One of my
buddies tole me to try Multicharts.  It actually works on volume bars.
He had run all the TS programs and they still can't do volume
correctly.  You might look at Ninja trader.  I don't know anything
about it but a trader I know uses it with volume bars.  I use
Multicharts because volume works correctly and it is so much like
TS2ki to run it only took me 5 hours from the time I went to
TSSupport online to have it up running workspaces and all the symbols
I used at that time.  You can feed it ascii, esignal, a whole mess of
other providers including interactive brokers.  You can even trade
automatically with interactive brokers.  I don't use them couldn't
build a auto program if I wanted to.  You can even use the Global
Server to feed Multicharts.  It scans in real time.  It does all kinds
of stuff I don't even know about.

What I know is volume works in Multicharts.  I use less computer power
and run more workspaces and charts than ever.  I run 6 or 8 instances
of Multicharts at a time with lots of charts in each one.  I keep each
to one gig memory and it works great.  With PCQuote or who ever it is
Esignal bought I can now get ONE WHOLE YEAR OF TICK DATA ON A STOCK.
It makes my day.  All the software is the same as I used for the
esignal feed.  Just the password changed.

So once again if you want tick volume you need Multicharts.  If anyone
else knows of a program this cheap that will do that let me know.  I
might try it but I doubt it.  This thing does what Tradestation never
did. Oh it will convert your code to dlls.  Talk about fast.
Their power language is just the same as Tradestations except it
doesn't mess with the copyrigted stuff.  So far I can't find anything
it can't convert and new code is so much the same even I can code in
it.

Ok so there you have it.  A big part of my secret in trading is tick
based volume bars.  I'm not a great trader but I'm still here.

Jimmy

Thanks to Jimmy, William, Steve, and SC for their comments.

Well, I did some more experimenting. I found that I *could* directly
chart a tick data ascii file in TS2ki (after I modified the tick data
somewhat... proper delimiters, etc), but to my disappointment,
noticed that it did not allow "Volume" based charts as a mode of
data compression.
   However, when you create a chart from data already imported into
Globalserver, the Volume data compression option IS available. But
I soon found out that I couldn't import my ascii tick data into
Globalserver. So that's where I stand now.
   Steve, I'm going to heed your advice and check out
www.traderssoft.com and www.hypertrader.it for their tools.

Thanks All
   Shawn