Re[2]: TS2000i disconnects

  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:24:05 -0600
  • From: Jimmy Snowden <jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re[2]: TS2000i disconnects

Congratulations Greg you found the problem.  I don't know what 2 kms
is but if it is over 14,000 feet then DSL is a problem.  I had two DSL
lines one cheap one that ran all the way to the central office at
around 14000 or so feet.  Within a few hundred feet of the max. I also
had one that was short.  Less than a mile and cost more.  I quit the
high dollar one and the cheap one works fine.  In the past I've had
lines that simply were trash.  You have to force the phone company to
give you a better line.  If not hey go with DTN satellite.  I used
them several times over the last thirty years and they are terrific.
A K band dish of about 42 inches that you can easily setup by
yourself. A box that will show data coming in or not.  Ok sometimes
you need to reboot it but not once a year.  It is the same outfit that
brings you IQ feed.  Price is good.  You get all the ticks there are.
Hell I might go back myself.  I've talked myself into it.  At one time
I was getting 30,000 symbols in the GS.  It was an accident.  Those
collection templates will let you get carried away.  Feeds GS
directly.  Don't know about excel.  If that is important I'm sure
someone on the list is or has done it.

Phone company is BSing you.  If DTN satellite is out of the question
then order a new DSL line today.  Order the fastest one they have.
When it is in and proven drop the old one.  Been there......

Jimmy

My fix will likely only help a few.
I was having LONG  and Short (almost imperceptible) disconnects from the
phone company.
Several talks w my ISP server and at least 3 visits from the phone
company - with one episode of re-routing external phone wires - no help.
I was told I was 'too far' from the Bell switching office - about 2
kms!!!! - & that I would have to move closer!!!
A final try with my ISP server. - He suggested power off everything
(unplug all black boxes) for 15 min which would give Bell time to reset.
No interrupts in at least 3 mos!
Good luck.
Dr Greg H