Re: best testing software for intraday trading?

Volker Knapp wrote:
>I am not sure if it has been mentioned that WL5 is out. It is .Net
>based, has fast back testing which is important for intraday data
>and has all the bells and whistles.

That's nice. Does it still require you to be tied to Fidelity, or is
it available as a stand-alone package?

.NET doesn't do anything for me.  I wish I could be rid of Microsoft
Windows.  I'd love to see an open-source trading platform that runs
under Linux.

Why open source?  Because I believe I am smarter than most software
developers, especially those hired to produce trading software.
There isn't a closed-source package yet where I haven't wanted to
grab the programmer by the throat and give him a good shaking,
yelling "Look at how this works!! What were you thinking?!"  This
is particularly true of Microsoft products.  It was true for
TradeStation, WealthLab, AmiBroker, and now NijaTrader.

I believe an open source effort, with properly designed tasks, could
result in swifter development and more robust performance than any
closed-source project.

-Alex