Re: Fw: RES: stock to buy- GPRE

Marc Miller wrote:
>A buddy of mine in California said that he can sell electricity
>back to the grid at 90 cents on the dollar, but here where I live,
>a buddy checked into solar and found that he could only selll it
>for 8-10 cents on the dollar (back to the grid.)

Actually, Texas may have the better deal.

I live in California.  I have a friend who converted his house to
solar.  He pays no electric bill, but he tells me that the power
company (Pacific Gas and Electric, or PG&E) will NOT pay him for
generating excess power.

He can run his electric bill down to zero.  I don't remember, but
PG&E may even give him "credit" for a "negative" electric bill (i.e.
the electric meter runs more backward than forward), but he doesn't
get paid.

Your friend in Texas may actually be able to SELL his electricity
back to the power company, once his solar panels produce enough
power to meet his household needs.  That would be a better deal than
California.

Personally, I think the California way is fine -- you don't get
paid, just as if your weren't on the grid.  However you still
benefit from the grid, in the event your solar power needs to be
taken offline for maintenance or repairs.

-Alex