To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2008 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: RES: stock to buy- GPRE

On 4 Jul 2008 at 21:41, Randy wrote:
No matter how much we want or hope for a solar , wind  alternative
energy  solution  .....it's not going to happen . Lump them all together
and the most optimistic forecasts  are 5-10 percent of current
consumption.

It doesn't have to be. I did a back-of-envelope calculation once to see how
much solar energy could be produced on the government-owned lands of the
desert Southwest.  It would take an area of roughly 40,000 square miles to
produce energy equal to the ENTIRE energy budget of the US, assuming
only 10% efficiency.  The US Govt owns 200,000 square miles of prime solar
real estate in Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico.  If they would cede 50k or
100k of that land to a US Energy Trust, they could launch a "man-on-the-
moon" class of initiative that could make the US entirely energy self-
sufficient, and virtually eliminate our dependence on polluting energy
sources like coal or nuclear.

Yes, there would be environmental impacts in the area -- but consider the
environmental and economic impacts of coal mining, burning coal or oil,
disposing of nuclear wastes -- or engaging in wars in the Mideast.

Should we try to replace 100% of the US energy consumption with solar?
Probably not, as there are other problems involved. But it could provide a HUGE percentage of the energy this country needs, with a self-built and self-
owned source of endless clean energy.

Gary