Re: Thank you / windows registry

Bill, the one that worked is
  TweakNowRegCleanerStd
but you can find most free and good quality software using the following method:

Google for what you want and put in 'sourceforge' at the beginning of the search sting.  (in this "sourceforge registry cleaner")

Have a look at the project on Source Forge than read customer reviews at Download.com.  My initial hit no longer works plus it is no longer a GPL software.  (Not GNU, thus source code is no longer inspectable.)

Since I selected something else, here TweakNowRegCleanerStd.
I grabbed it and installed it.
This is NOT Open Source, so I do not trust it.
Thus, the special procedure for code I cannot / open source community cannot inspect:

(1) networking off;
(2) installed it on a remote drive on my Macintosh
(3) installed it into a VIRTUAL MACHINE

(4) cleaned up.

(5) Installed;
    SHUTDOWN VM.
(6) at the Unix command line on my Mac OS X

   srm -rs /shdoc/TweakNowRegCleanerStd

(7) Start the VM again but do not run it;
    Turn ON networking in the VM and boot the VM.
    Turn ON networking for Mac OS X

(8) Log into Microsoft XP (a.k.a. the most modern machine since an Edsel)

If good, shut down the VM and hit the Time Machine button.
Next time you can grab the image from the Time Machine.

Leslie
p.s. a Mac or any other Unix/Linux has no registry.