Re: TS 8.x on vmware?

Hi,

I only can speek for my 1 1/2 Year Ubuntu experience starting with 7.04
Edgy to now 8.04 - and dude we have 2008. Time goes by and a lot of the
Linux and Hardware problems are really no more then myths, today. I also
tested Linux in the '99 and have no luck.
Ubuntu is I think so popular and fast growing in the Linux community
cause of it's easy installation - my Laptop
works without any change - and of it's big community.

Harddrive crash is really painful - but I'm happy that I only know this
from my MS time - god I learned to love Acronis True Image.
Don't know which file system RedHat use - but Ext3 the file system
Ubuntu uses is well known as a journalling file system which should
prevent data loose and keep data persistent.
But one thing is true and I learned this fast... if you decide to delete
a file from the garbage-can it's really deleted and can't be restored.

Linux is quite different and you can highly adapt your system for
everything - there are Linux versions out there which only need 60MB for
a complete OS with OfficePack, Browser, etc. - o.k. they are not as
comfortable then the bigger once with Gnome or KDE as Desktop but if you
want a small OS you can get this.

I you doesn't like the GUI of Redhat - I think they use Gnome as GUI -
like Ubuntu - you can use KDE or one of the several others insteed -
it's your choice... and at the beginning confusing - things I had too
learn, too. Many people like Apple OS - but if you look behind OS-X is
based on the BSD which is similar to Linux a Unix system and also
OpenSource the only thing they made is a good looking GUI for it.

For me as an long time MS user (started with MS-Dos 5.0) - the first
Linux steps was really hard - cause I every time expect to get things
work / have to work the MS way... but after a while when I open my mind
and understand the Linux way I really like it.

Insteed I didn't like the MS way started with XP - blown up OS with
phone home functions, and with there paranoid activation policy - they
lost me as a customer - o.k. I understand that a company have to protect
there property - but the way MS does isn't the right one - they only
spoon feeding there paying customers.

The choice you have at Linux is on the other side the biggest problem
for new users - you have every where a choice - Redhat, Novell,
Ubuntu... and so on - all have there own OS installer and Paket
management. You can
choose which file system to use Ext2, 3, ReiserFS ... and sure if your
are hardcore and crazy enough you can use Linux with a Fat16 file
system, too.

I'm not a Linux prayer - I only speek for my own 1 1/2 year Ubuntu-Linux
experience - and of course without VMs
I would stuck at MS, too. Cause I need my TS2000i.

I use booth Windows and Linux programs - why ? cause it's possible and
fit my needs - and important it works very well for me.

Virtualization is a cool thing - you can test programs in a virtual
machine without fear to crash your system and so
on.

You can do it also the other way - install Virtualbox - create a VM with
Ubuntu-Linux (Ubuntu has no license fees) as Guest - good setup for
learning phase and first steps.

I didn't want to start a MS bashing or Linux hype here - and the List is
the wrong place for it.

The Questions was: is it possible to use XP and TS8 in a VM and I told
my experience - nothing more.

Your experience is from 2003 - and I'm sure this can happend to me, too
at this time - but I think it's good to keep a open mind and to take
sometimes a look over the edge of a plate.

Have a nice weekend

Ralf

Mark Simms schrieb:
Linux ? Yuck.
After spending 2001->2003 trying to keep my Redhat system stable,
 the hard drive finally crashed and I never restored it.
Painful experience.
Horrible GUI.
When I had second thoughts of going back to Redhat,
BUT! They change their licensing policies drastically and I would
 have had to hire someone to install it. "Forget that, I said".

Linux reminds me of open-sucks...I mean opensource.
Just horrible support. And directionless management.
Good software needs a champion model whereby someone "designs" and
Then works directly with a focused development team.
Ray Ozzie's work is a good example of that.

Java, with it's awful JCP, is an opposite example of that.
My current broker has a java-based platform and despite the speed
improvement that would be seen,
They can't use JVM 1.6 because they say it's too buggy....and 1.6 has
been
in production for almost a year !
Nuf said...Java is NOT the answer.