OT: Cable with DSL

I'm currently trying to provide some internet connection redundancy by adding DSL to my existing Cable setup. I was thinking that ideally, I would have Cable going to my desktop machine and DSL going to my laptop, with a LAN connecting the two. But like most thinks, this was not as simple as I was first thinking ;).

I originally had an internet sharing router (D-Link EBR-2310) connecting my desktop and laptop to Cable. I was hoping I could disconnect the laptop from the router and connect it to a hub connecting the DSL modem, laptop and router together. But this doesn't work.

The laptop has to have it's default gateway assigned to the DSL modem's assigned (via it's DHCP) ip and the desktop has to use the default gateway to my router (192.168.0.1). I don't see a way to connect these two machines together with this configuration. I would like to share files and a mouse between the two machines.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. I was hoping I would not have to buy some expensive piece of hardware to accomplish this.

thanks,
shawn