From: DC010225 [mailto:DC010225@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:06 AM
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: "The Sharpe Engine" My 2008 project

The divisor in Sharpe Ratio (SR) is and always has been the sd of return
(not prices). Unfortunately, SR fails two of three criteria for good
performance measure as explained in Perry J. Kaufman in "The New Commodity
Trading Systems and Methods", look at pages 390 - 391 in 1987 edition.

Figure 18-1 demonstrates:

1. Figure 18-1(a): Consecutive small losses (bad System B) and alternative
small losses & wins (better System A) are the same according to SR

2. Figure 18-1(b):  Large surges of profits (System A) and large losses
(System B) are the same according to SR.

In both cases System A is better than B and SR is not good in distinguishing
them. More details in Jack D. Schwager.

DC