From: John Pretorius [mailto:johnpretorius@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:07 AM
To: cwest@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: "The Sharpe Engine" My 2008 project

Good idea. My understanding is that you are trying to get a sort of
universal standard measure.

My first knee jerk is that the effort would be wasted on the Sharpe with its
well known problem of treating all movement, including positive return, as
"bad" volatility. I think this weakness would become even more apparent when
it is used to compare different classes of investment to each other.

Why don't you start by revisiting the relative merits of the other
measurement tools.

John Pretorius