Re: exchanged based time stamps, feeds that have it, software than properly handles it.

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: exchanged based time stamps, feeds that have it, software than properly handles it.
  • From: Bob Fulks <bobfulks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 10:57:04 -0500

I spent a lot of time looking into this a while ago and the news was not very good.

I found that the time stamps by the exchanges were not accurate and not synchronized with a standard. That may have changed in the interim.

And trades from multiple exchanges have to be merged if the symbol trades on multiple exchanges.

And exchanges have quite a while between when the trade occurs and when it has to be reported.

If a delayed trade was time-stamped with the actual trade time, then the time would be out of order causing all the problems you cite.

So it appeared that the best strategy for a data vendor was to simple take the trades in the order they received them, add new time-stamps to the merged stream, try to filter out the outliers, and send it on to their clients.

This has the advantage that if you miss data and refresh from their server, then you get the same trades you had plus the ones you missed. This causes minimal changes in your charts and system results.

TS2000i did not do that. It actually time-stamped the trades with the time of your computer clock as trades were received. This was VERY bad in that when you downloaded refresh data, that new data had the time-stamps of their server, which could be far off of the data you collected real-time.

TS8.x seems to do a better job. You can actually measure the difference in time between when you receive the data and the time stamp to see what the lag is. If the Internet is congested, you can often miss a bunch of trades that will then arrive later as a burst. Not the greatest, but at least you usually get the trades with the correct time-stamp, even if you get them late. Refresh data has exactly the same time stamp as the real-time data so no problems there.

Bob Fulks