To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 6:54 PM
Subject: Win2000 & Core Duo

Instead of running Win2000 "natively" run Win2000 under VMware. The latest version of VMware is getting pretty efficient and it is getting to the stage that it is quite acceptable.

This has the advantage that you can start running as host OS Linux (or another OS) and will not be subject to the bloatware and spyware that is creeping into the newer Windows OS's (XP & Vista, eg "media protection" and "WGA") which has the abilty built into turn some parts, if not all, of the software off.

My preference is to combine this with the Kerio TPF (Tiny Personal Firewall) version 2.1.5 (not the later versions).

PS. At the moment I am trialing Win2000 under VMware since I am starting to get quite annoyed with some of the functionaility in the latest versions of XP and in ViSTA (Virus infections, SPyware, Trojans & Adware). Have no intention at all to move to Vista, too much intrusive on my privacy and depending on high speed internet connections - am only on dial-up.

Marinus