TS 8.2 w/ HT or multi processors

Hi gang,

Anyone out there know much about hyperthreading/multi-processors? I finally gave up my trusty old Win 2000 for XP, and set up my P IV to do full HT. I'm having some really bizarre problems with TS 8.2. It might just be something going on with TS - seems quite a few folks have issues now - but given the magnitude of what I am seeing and the new install I still wonder if something else might contribute.

What is happening is the are amazingly large context switchs by the orplat and orchart services, and mainly when both charts and matrix/market depth windows are open at the same time. By large I mean stable 10-20,000/sec, and with volume can easily climb to 70-80,000. The same processor with w2000/ no HT would maybe hit 2000 on very busy times. Along with the context switches, both orchart and orplat are running way more cpu than they should. For example, a single matrix used to run maybe 1-2 pct on orplat. Now it 15-30%. And orchart cpu use increases considerably due to the switching as well. The more matrix windows, the more switching.

If you close the matrix window and just run charts, everything is fine. There will be an occasional blip really high, but the devastating cpu effect is gone . OK, now here's the kicker... if you set the affinity of orplat and orchart to the same cpu, the switching goes away. So that makes me thing that it's a cache miss or common memory thing. Affinities are not a good solution long term though, as it is much easier to peg half the processor.

I have tried everything I can think of and can't find anything wrong on the pc. Intel Inf files were run...then I ran all the Intel HT diagnostics and they are perfect. Bios is current. I tried running with nothing else at all on the pc. Nothing changes. Other than inability to use matrix, HT is much smoother than without. FED day today was super smooth.

I know there are some PC wizards out there. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be most appreciative.

Best,
Chris