Re: What's so great about low-lag moving averages? Seriously

At 07:35 AM 1/12/2007, Mark Johnson wrote:

>Thanks for the reply but I don't know how to
>deposit smoothness in my bank account.  This
>is why I carefully inquired "how do low-lag
>moving averages improve the profitability
>of trading systems?"

For example, in a moving average crossover system, you will get far
fewer whipsaws. In a system based upon Bollinger Bands as in my
previous picture, there will obviously be fewer false triggers.

>  >> These better averages have a tradeoff
>  >> between lag and smoothness that is better
>  >> than that for conventional averages. One
>  >> option is same smoothness and lower lag.
>  >> The other option is much smoother (less
>  >> noise) and same lag.
>  >>    Bob Fulks
>
>Having read Jurik's book and Ehlers's book and
>both of their web sites, I've seen dozens of
>their nice demonstrations "Look, ours draws a
>prettier picture" but no examples of improved
>profits.

Very few people will tell you the secrets of how their trading systems
work. :-)

But I can assure you that "smooth" is better than "noisy"...

Bob Fulks