Re: TS 8 Reinstalling problems

At 04:08 PM 04/08/2006, snosnosnow@xxxxxxx wrote:

>I am trying to move TS 8 from my laptop to a machine that currently runs TS2k.
>Since I feed the data from IB I wanted to run them together. TS 8 will use
>Owndata2
>I got an error saying that "Tradestation may only be run on the computer where
>it was origanily downloaded to.
>Does anyone know a work around?
>Thanks
>Sno

Hi Sno,

You just have to download the TS install program directly onto your laptop. You can't use the same TS setup program that you downloaded to another box. Reason being, that when you download, the download ActiveX control puts a unique token in your registry that matches that machine somehow (it can't be transfered). Without the correct token present, you can't install and run, and you will get that error message instead.

This TS policy seems misguided to me. I guess they are trying to prevent unauthorized use somehow (doesn't the login procedure take care of that?). What it really does, is make it harder to work in a group. If someone in the group happens to get a new machine, then they have to re-download to install. Often, TS is on a new build and the older build is no longer available, so the user has to download a newer revision. Then the new guy's workspaces are not compatible with the rest of the group. So then all the machines have be be updated. So it turns into a forced upgrade which can sometimes be pain.

Regards,
Mike Gossland