Optimization Issues - WAS Optimization Speed TS2000i vs TS8.1

I agree with Mike's general observations. In addition, "optimization" is a very unfortunate term and leads some to believe that such testing will lead to systems that are robust in the sense that future results will be similar to the in-sample test results for the "optimum" set of parameter values.

I prefer to think of "optimization" testing as Parameter Stability Testing (PST).  I find it more useful to think of the goal of such testing as NOT to find a parameter set that shows the "best" results in terms of net profit (or any other one or more metrics). Rather, I think of the goal of the testing as finding a large region in N-space (when there are N parameters involved in the testing) where ANY set of parameter values within that space represents "acceptable" trading results.  The larger the size of the region, the more stable the system has been when the parameter values changed in the past.  I would tend to favor the set of parameter values for out-of-sample testing or trading to be the parameter values closest to the center of the region.  I strongly agree with Mike on the need to do out-of-sample testing to confirm (or refute) your in-sample test results.

For example, with a single parameter being tested, think of a line graph of the results.  The objective of PST is to find a wide set of contiguous values for the parameter (on the X axis) which give a result at or above some threshold which is viewed as an acceptable level for trading results (on the Y axis).  This might look on a graph like some earlier parameter values having results which are mostly less than the acceptable level, then a broad area where the results are all at or above that level, and finally some additional parameter values where results are again mostly below that level. There may be some values above the threshold prior to the contiguous area and subsequent. But the interesting part of the graph (and the test) is the contiguous set of parameter values that all produce acceptable results.

Paul

<SNIP>