Re: Slightly Off-Topic- Operating System Question

  • To: OmegaList <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Slightly Off-Topic- Operating System Question
  • From: Jim Osborn <jimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:50:09 -0700

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 11:11:28PM -0400, alchemyllc@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a pc that I have had for years, that has W95 as its
> operating system. I use it to run TS4 only. Within the past two
> days, I have been unable to get a full boot into Windows. I assume
> this being caused by some corrupted Windows file. Anyone have any
> ideas?

The first idea that occurs: are you sure you don't have a hardware
problem?  If it's an old pc, things do wear out.

If you're really running only TS4, with whatever support programs
it needs, then you might want to stay with W95.  People who know
more about MS Windows than I do have told me that as MS has moved
along its operating systems arc, from 3.1 to W95 to W98, etc.
that the OS has become slower, more bulky and resource-demanding
at each step.  It's made the hardware vendors very, very happy.

I consider MS Windows to be simply a "wrapper" around TS4, my
one-and-only Windows app, running in its very own computer,
not networked to anything except the DTN satellite data feed.
Obviously, I'm also running Dynastore, but to me, it's just a
part of TS, both wrapped in W95.

That's on a PII with 128M RAM.  It's never crashed.

> My real question is this. I bought another pc, with a slightly
> faster chipset and as much Ram (512mb) with W98 as its operating
> system. (I chose not to upgrade to W2k or XP owing to emulators and
> other software which would only run on W95, plus everything worked
> well) When I installed and ran TS4 on the W98 machine it ran slow
> and choked. I was very surprised that the W98 machine couldn't
> handle TS4, while the W95 machine could.  Anyone have any ideas why
> this would be the case? What is considered the best most stable
> operating system to run TS4? Thanks

Stability and security are separate, of course, from speed.  You
wouldn't be the first person to have trouble running TS4 on W98.

If I were you, and were running only TS4 without any network
connection to the outside world, I'd install W95 on the new machine
with its fancy hardware and run TS4 in that environment.  How much
grief you would have to go through would depend on what sorts of
backups you have of all your bits and pieces: TS4 data and workspace
files, data feed things, dongle emulators, etc.

People seem to enjoy running their office/internet/whatever
applications on W2k or XP, and if you must run Microsoft Windows with
a connection to the internet, that's what you need for security.
But that doesn't mean you can't have a separate machine dedicated
to TS4.

Cheers,

Jim