RE: Re[4]: HD Backup software

 Sorry, I meant Raid 1.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hi [mailto:9m9@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:07 PM
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re[4]: HD Backup software

Hello cwest,

With RAID 0, if a drive fails, all you have to do is forget about your data.
Use RAID 5 instead.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

c> Jimmy, with RAID 0, if a drive fails, all you have to do is swap it
c> for a new drive without turning off the PC. This you conceptually
c> know, right. No rebooting, cloning, etc. It couldn't be easier.

c> If a virus has corrupted anything, which seems to be a
c> rationalization for doing images from which to recover, you have 2
c> choices if you can't manually fix the corruption. From offsite bup
c> restore the corrupted folder or registry, or restore to XP's last
c> restore-point. Either way takes 2-3 minutes. With offsite bup you can go
back several iterations if necessary.
c> These are no-brainers. No swapping cables or disks etc.

c> Respectfully of course, I'm still at a loss as to why anyone would
c> want to do it the hard way! Btw there are tools that'll do restore
c> points periodically or whenever there's a change to the registry.

c> -----Original Message-----
c> From: Jimmy Snowden [mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
c> Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:52 AM
c> To: Leslie_George; Omega-List
c> Subject: Re[2]: HD Backup software

c> If you really want to test your brain use BOTH.  With Serial ATA
c> drives you can have RAID.  Then you can have a ATA or serial drive in
c> addition to the two serial ATA drives back up on.

c> I didn't use RAID but did use two Serial ATA drives that Casper
c> cloned one to the other.  Then I also had a bootable IDE type ATA
c> drive that had everything on it including a nightly backup using
c> Windows XP's shadow backup.  The beauty of this is you can, depending
c> on your BIOS options, boot to the IDE drive instead of the Serial ATA
c> drives by simply making a change in the BIOS during your reboot.

c> Sorry to complicate things,

c> Jimmy

c> Thanks for all the advice. Will consider RAID but probably will go
c> with Casper.