From: Jimmy Snowden [mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:12 PM
To: cwest; Omega-List
Subject: Re[4]: HD Backup software

I pretty much only deal with loosing my data when I think backup.
RAID is great for a drive failure but not useful if your data gets messed
up.  I've had corrupted data too many times in the past so RAID is little
help, it works too fast.  Offsite bup wont work for some of us as we have
too much data to export.  Restore points are great but pretty much every
time I use them I loose something, but usually the loss is not real
important.  Viruses and worms have never been a problem for me.

Jimmy

Yuk!

Jimmy, with RAID 0, if a drive fails, all you have to do is swap it for a
new drive without turning off the PC. This you conceptually know, right. No
rebooting, cloning, etc. It couldn't be easier.

If a virus has corrupted anything, which seems to be a rationalization for
doing images from which to recover, you have 2 choices if you can't manually
fix the corruption. From offsite bup restore the corrupted folder or
registry, or restore to XP's last restore-point. Either way takes 2-3
minutes. With offsite bup you can go back several iterations if necessary.
These are no-brainers. No swapping cables or disks etc.

Respectfully of course, I'm still at a loss as to why anyone would want to
do it the hard way! Btw there are tools that'll do restore points
periodically or whenever there's a change to the registry.