Re: Fed Announcement Dates

Abhijit Dey said:
> In 1980's prime rate was 20+ %   ???
> <Imagines ARM mortgage rate>
> <faints>

And it wasn't just the absolute level that was horrific, but the rate of
change.  In ~1980-81 I tried to buy my first house.  My slick realtor
talked me into a house I could barely afford, and convinced me to work out
a move-in-and-rent-until-closing deal so the seller didn't sell to someone
else.  Being an inexperienced kid I didn't know better.

Unfortunately this was just when the rates started to spike.  From the
time we applied for the loan until it was finalized (as I recall you
couldn't lock rates on an FHA loan at that time), the loan rate went up
over TWO AND A HALF POINTS.  I could barely afford it before that, and I
COULDN'T afford it after that runup.  I ended up losing the house and
moving out.

People who have been getting 30yr loans at 5-7% lately have no idea how
good they've got it...