Re: "Better" Bollinger Band Indicator

Lance Fisher wrote:
>I thought... Why not calculate the StdDev using the
>Open, High, Low, & Close rather than just the Close?

I do stuff like that all the time.  Or just high, low, and close
(not the open, using the logic that the open is an 'old' price that
would bias the final result).

Another thing to try is an exponential moving standard deviation,
rather than the "standard" arithmetic standard deviation.  Code for
the exponential moving standard deviation is

{_xStdDev Exponential moving standard deviation
 by Alex Matulich alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 5/2003

 _xStdDev(x,n) returns a good approximation of the standard deviation
 of n values of x.  In _xStdDev the terms have exponential weight so
 the function reacts faster, and recovers from outliers more quickly
 than the traditional standard deviation.
}
Inputs:
    x(NumericSeries),       {price data}
    length(NumericSimple);  {"lookback" length; can change mid-stream}
Vars:
    w0(0), w1(0),   {exponential weights}
    n(0),           {used as sample size}
    avx(0);         {average of x and average of x^2}
if n <> length or CurrentBar <= 1 then begin {initialize things}
    n = length;
    w0 = 2/(n+1);
    w1 = 1 - w0;
    if Currentbar <= 1 then avx = x;
end;
avx = w0*x + w1*avx[1];
_xStdDev = SquareRoot(w0*(x-avx)*(x-avx) + w1*_xStdDev[1]*_xStdDev[1])

--
 //  \
 // __)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com