From: Abhijit Dey <omegalist@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mini data on TS8
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:15:50 -0600

Riley, The confusion seems to be this:

CME reports trades / ticks / whatever in 2 ways.
a) Realtime, as it is happening. All data providers get this directly or indirectly, may or may not filter / massage them and passes it on to us.
b) End of the day - CME make it available in their ftp site. Older data you can purchase from CME as well.

Add to the scenario the fact that many providers have inconsistent reporting of data in "real time" and from their "historybank", and... well.. you get the picture.

Now, when someone says "in comparison to the CME data", they must be talking about data received from source (b). As we do not have any way to get data from source (a), directly. We don't know how our data provider molested the ticks when it passes through their machines. 8P

What adds further to the confusion is the fact many here do not seem to accept (b) as correct. Is this fun or what?

IMHO, I don't understand what the big deal is. Any feed is fine as long as it is *consistent in real time*. If there are consistent problems, it's easy to work around - like say, IB's feed. It's very incomplete, and I have no problems with it. It pumps out x% of actual ticks, everyday. Works for me. Heck, I don't even know what x is.

Abhijit