From: unicorn@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:unicorn@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alex
Matulich
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 12:58 PM
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Nonlinear Optimization with Constraints

Gabrial Gray asked:
>>Does anyone have any experience in optimizing a nonlinear objective
>>function subject to linear constraints? I am trying to optimize a
>>portfolio in C++ and am looking for algorithms to efficiently find an

Bob Fulks wote:
>Check with www.solver.com. They may have something.
>
>They are the people who wrote the Solver used in Excel and they have
>other versions and DLLs available.

The Excel solver is pretty nice, though not without its problems
(sometimes I set up a problem that the solver solves slower than me
manually twiddling a few cells).

There's always Numerical Recipes in C++.  There's an entire chapter
(10) dedicated to minimization and maximization of functions; in other
words, optimization.  The multidimensional Simplex technique my be what
you're looking for, although they also describe other multidimensional
optimization techniques.

See http://www.nr.com - there's a section having the C version online
for free.

Bob's suggestion, to use a pre-written DLL or object code, might be the
easiest and quickest solution for you, however.

--
 //  \
 // __)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com