Re: Re[2]: OT- Dell Dimension, Celeron vs Pentium 4

With everything else equal. I'll take AMD anytime over Intell. Always have. Apples to Apples they are equal to better. Most tests will show it. Will admit though that a user will amost NEVER be able to tell the difference, with everything else equal.
The only problem AMD has had is that some computer builders will not put apples to apples. Since the AMD chip is usually cheaper, some builders will go with a smaller hard drive or lower RPM hard drive or other things that are cheaper in the AMD systems. To make the wholes computer system cheaper when comparing.
And that has probably hurt AMD over the years.
Money talks, and that is the way it is. I get my systems built the way I want them. so I don't have that trouble.

1. Brian Valentine at Microsoft, said that it and AMD planned the introduction of the 64-bit processor family right from the start of the project.
Valentine said that his company will offer Windows Server 2003 with built in support for AMD. AMD and Microsoft had been in together on the development of a 64-bit processor.

Microsoft liked the idea of 64-bit computing being backward compatible with 32 bit applications, at a low cost, he claimed, and closely collaborated on its development.

More positive support for AMD came from a number of leading software vendors, including Microsoft, Mandrakesoft, SuSE Linux, Oracle and others joining in the party.

2. Microsoft senior VP Bob Muglia has revealed that the software giant believes not only that there are differences between iAMD64 and Intel's EM64T but that the former is better than the latter.

3.. Athlon64 processors with support from Microsoft, and even apparently its thorough endorsement, will put some serious pressure on Intel to re-examine its desktop 64-bit strategy. Microsoft's endorsement of an X86-64 version of Windows and the fact it appears to consider AMD chips are highly compatible with 32-bit platforms, means Intel may find itself left on a 64-bit island.

4. Microsoft's SQL Server 2005 database has reached the plebs in the form of a beta 2 release that includes, among other things, support for AMD's Opteron processor but not for Intel's similar 64-bit Xeon chip.
Microsoft highlighted the support for Opteron as one of the major new features in the second beta. "As enterprises transition from 32- to 64-bit computing, they need the smooth migration path to 64-bit computing that AMD64 provides

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Bailey" <baileyp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>