Re: Re[2]: gmail (was Re: off topic - OT - another one this time its"email provider")

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: gmail (was Re: off topic - OT - another one this time its"email provider")
  • From: Alex Matulich <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:06:53 -0700 (PDT)

>also some readings about gmail: http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

Just about everything has a counterpoint these days.  That article
above talks about the *potential* for bad stuff, and where it
actually demonstrates bad stuff, it's related to ads -- to which
I say, who cares?  I don't look at the ads.  I do sometimes look
at the non-ad relevant links that gmail chooses to put next to the
content on my display.

The article also bases its arguments on shaky ground, for example,
the point about three clicks to trash a message being too onerous,
is ridiculous.  Select the message, move to trash, just like any
other mail client.  The article says it's easier to archive; wrong.
It's about the same, or more because you usually want to label the
message first (analogous to putting it in a folder).

Nowhere do you have to reveal personal information.  You don't even
have to use your real name.

-Alex