Re: Risk

I think that Alex's last post gets to the heart of the matter. Sensible stops are not mechanical items or rules of thumb to simply apply everywhere on an indiscriminate basis.

FIRST, I only want to be stopped out when an adverse price movement proves to me that the assumptions which determined my systems original entry are no longer valid. i.e.. When the current price screams at me "you were wrong."

How much of a movement that will be is a function of my system. If I've developed the system, and if I've reviewed every signal that it produced, and the variety of events which then occurred after the original entry signal, I should have a very good idea of what to expect in the form and size of any "noise" after entry.

Stops should be set where the subsequent price moves tell you "this price isn't included in my systems definition of noise."

Not easy to define, but then it's my capital at risk, and so the effort should be worthwhile.

But the SECOND part is what's critical, and that's where many of the 2%rs use the right idea the wrong way.

Limiting losses to a % of risk capital is a reasonable idea, for it forces you to have a fairly long string of losses before you succumb.

But the point that is seldom mentioned is that the actual dollar value of the "noise" you defined above is the dollar amount you are risking on that trade. I other words if a decline of $3,000 is your systems "noise" level trading the vehicle you are investing in, and 2% is the amount of capital you're willing to risk on a single trade your risk bundle better be $150,000.

At least that's how I see it. Improvements always welcome.

Richard Funkhouser