Re: Antivirus software

   From: "jack zaner" <jzaner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:43:36 -0700

   List:  A bit OT:  After a rather onerous and frustrating go round with
   Norton,  I am looking for suggestions regarding  AntiVirus software for a
   stand alone Windows 98.
   TIA, Jack.

Fundamentally, they are all the same in the anti-virus game, some just
market better than others, and some have creative accountants.  The
problem with Norton is it's invasiveness, there are equally safe
solutions that do not leave you hogtied or wondering if you're back in
first grade needing to ask permission to do anything.

Most antivirus vendors have test drives of their product, try them
all.  The best discriminator is having a way to introduce a test virus
and then seeing how well the various products stack up against it.
Several years ago, I had New York Blue, and the performance of Norton,
McAfee and other 'name brands' was a joke.  At the time, AVP was
independent and did an excellent job against New York Blue.  I cannot
recommend them anymore, as big money later bought their name out, but
not the key developer.  My point is that a virus test is a good way to
determine which products are any good...of course knowing about the
bad effects of the virus is important for any such test.  I lost my
test copy of New York Blue, but there is a standard test virus called
EICAR that is available nowdays.

So try the antivirus test drives and see what works with your style.
Having more than one computer and using one for 'money' and another
for 'everything else that is risky' is a good idea.