Re: P3 vs P4

As you know, Win2k is 32-bit while TS4 is 16-bit. Since TS4 can't run natively on Win2k, Windows 2000 attempts to "isolate" the program by starting an NT Virtual DOS Machine session (NTVDM). Look for these in your Process list. (click on the Process list tab and under "options" select "show 16-bit tasks".

From looking at your dual CPU graphs, they appear out of phase, suggesting that TS4 involves more than one 16bit process, and since Win2k cannot run these simultaneously, they must take turns, and when they do, windows toggles to one processor and then to the other. This slows things down quite a bit. And perhaps there is an issue here when using the highly inefficient processor-hungry serial interface to get your ticks.
There is a way to isolate each 16-bit process on a separate NTVDM, but I can't remember how to do it.

-F

Barry Burgess wrote:

Having upgraded from the P4 2.4Gh to 3.0GH and a 800FSB I am still losing
ticks using Win2K
DH commented that Win2K will not allow multithreading but attached is a
screen shot of task manager showing 2 streams and TS4 not cuasing the CPU to
run at 100% only 52% .
Any ideas from the list
Thanks in advance