How to keep a value in a variable over consecutive bars?

Is there a way to set a variable in a bar and have access to it from a
subsequent bar? I do not wish to have the variable to be a series. Also
preferably not using a dll or something like that. Is there some sort o EL
trick that would let me do this? As far as I understand, a variable, defined
as var: something(0) woud get reset to 0 every bar. I do not want a series
as only the value is important to me in a subsequent bar, not the bar where
I calculated this.

Thanks,

Abhijit