Re: Excel Help - For Lists of Stocks

>Commercial sort routines usually provide the option of eliminating duplicate
>rows or records.  Excel's sort does not provide that option, strangely
>(maybe not so strangely, given the novice developers @ Microsoft).
>
>Have looked high and low, but can find no script, no macro that can do this
>simple task.
>
>- I start with a list of stock symbols that have screened for volatility,
>price, float, liquidity. List has about 1030 symbols currently.
>- To this I add new symbols as I find them.  Must eyeball through the list
>of 1030 symbols to avoid duplicates.  This is a real pain in the rear and
>subject to eyeball error.
>- What would be a time saver and error preventer, is a sort that eliminates
>rows having a duplicate in the specified symbol (sort key[s]) column[s].
>
>Does anyone know of a macro to do this?  If not, can anyone here develop and
>share one?  (This is beyond my poor Excel macro writing ability.)
>
>Thanks! And Happy Holidays to all herein!
>
>Vince Heiker
>Flower Mound, Texas

Happy holidays to you too Vince.

Excel has a feature that extracts unique records. It's under the Data menu, under Filter, Advanced Filter.

You'll have to consult the help file to see how it works, but it allows you to select a source range to extract records from. There's a "unique" checkbox to avoid dupes. You extract to a destination range. I have found it a little troublesome to use, until I remember how it goes, then it works very easily.

Merry Christmas.

Mike Gossland

---