Re: stocks and narrow indexes

Hello cwest,

I may sound patronizing and off point, but don't expect to find tools
available that articulate what you
conceive. What you can trade is the limiting factor, indeed.  But the number of
indexes can be conceived by you and are unlimited.  Create an index of
AOL and pork bellies.  Perhaps there is a relationship between that
and Natural Gas.  Who knows.

c> With the plethora of synthetic things one can trade these days, I thought
c> I'd search for a tool/utility that returns the symbol of an index for a
c> given symbol of a stock. For example, to which indexes does MSFT belong.
c> Indexes can also be ETFs. I was somewhat surprised not to readily find any
c> site on the Internet that did this.

c> I know there are 200+ sectors over which stocks are spread, but if there
c> isn't a tradable index for a particular sector, there's not much point to
c> such categorization in terms of pairs trading, for example. To date I've
c> used broad indexes to construct hedges, but would like to find a way to
c> narrow the offsetting choices.

c> Has anyone come across such a tool in conceptual terms?

c> Tia
c> Colin West