Re: Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at  1:43:55PM -0600, Jimmy Snowden wrote:
> Is anyone else on the list getting this failed message when they post
> to the Omega list.  I have no clue why they come to me instead of Jim.

They come to you because the mail server at wanadoo.es is seriously
misconfigured.  These delivery status notices (DSNs) should always
be sent to the mail "envelope-sender" address, which for the list
is omega-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxx  Instead these unfortunates are
sending to the address in the From: header field; a real faux pas.

I'd really appreciate it if list posters could forward these DSNs
to me whenever you receive one in response to a post.  Generally
it indicates an unreachable former subscriber who should be removed
from the rolls.  But the misconfiguration means that the list server
never receives the information it needs to do its job.

It's even more helpful sometimes if you can include any Received:
lines that might have been included anywhere in the DSN.

Thanks folks,

Jim