Re: Off-topic: Re: Message for Alex

At 7/1/2003 12:48 AM, you wrote:

Have you guys considered the possibility that you are blacklisted
because you are actually sending out spam?

Not knowingly, of course.

Spammers nowadays are using vulnerable computers to relay their spam.
The technique is simple: scan for vulnerable machines, identify targets,
exploit vulnerability on target, install silent SMTP relay program,
relay tons of spam.

Most people's reaction is to say "not me, I can't get hacked".
As an information security professional doing penetration testing for a
living, I can assure you that this happens ALL THE TIME.

I doubt if this is the case here since I use dial up, which I assume means
I get a different IP address every time I log in. Otherwise, why did
hanging up and dialing again allow me to re-send without getting filtered
on the second try? So, it wouldn't necessarily be my computer that got
hacked. It would more likely be someone using the same ISP as me.

But what you say is interesting, and makes what I said in the last post
even worse. It would seem that all it takes is that someone on my ISP gets
hit by what you say above, the IP address gets black listed, then my ISP
has black listed IP addresses randomly being assigned to dial up lines.
What a nightmare! :-)

Bob Bolotin